Ooh, now this is an interesting component. Something that Microsoft Dynamics CRM has had for a few years now. Finally in Salesforce!
- Use it with care - you could have a number of them on the page.
- They are difficult to set up because they require at least an Edit Record Quick Action on the related record.
Use Case - show Image on a Page
I have a record named Asset, and the Assets are all part of a group of Assets - the Asset Catalog. The Asset Catalog has an image field - just a Rich Text field where they paste the image in there (yeah, I could do a URL and a VF page to show it, but I just wanted it easy for them to get the images in there).
When they are working on the Asset, I want them to quickly see an image of it, so they know at a glance it is the right asset.
So, how do I show a Lightning Component with just one field on it. A Related Record Component.
- Luckily this image was in a related record, because you could not do it otherwise, I don't think.
- Create a Quick Action on the Asset Catalog object named Image Only - an Update Record Action.
- Add the image field onto the QA Layout.
- Don't add the Quick Action onto the Lightning Actions bar on the page layout.
- Drag the Related Record component onto the Assets Lightning page.
- Choose the related record of Asset Catalog
- Choose the Image Only Quick Action for the Edit Action.
- Refresh the page 10 times to get it to display.
- The users have to have Edit access on the Image field or this Rich Text field won't even display on the Related Record component.
- The users can Edit the image from the Asset - not ideal, because they might think it's only just for that Asset.
- The image needs to be a reasonably small size for it to not look comical.